Monday, May 17, 2010

Bryson City Farmer's Market



The Bryson City Farmer's Market kicked off on Friday May 7th. I missed the first week but was able to go out last Friday and see what the local foodies had to offer. It is impressive to see how many local growers we have here in western NC. It seems like the more I search around the more I find and my trips to the grocery store become fewer and far between. Even though it is still very early in the season there was plenty to choose from. Of course I stopped by the tent of my friends from Sleepy Hollow Farm , as well as met several other local growers. As the summer progresses there will be even more produce but I was able to pick up some delicious honey, jam, leafy greens, eggs, trout, and beautiful flowers. If you are around town on Fridays this summer from 9am-1pm stop by and check out all of the fantastic food.
The Balltown Bee Farm, located right here in Bryson City, has lots to offer, including a couple of varieties of delicious honey. They are incredibly friendly and were more than happy to answer all of my questions about their bees and farm.
Just as I was getting ready to leave, Shelton Family Farm pulled up with a van full of fresh picked strawberries, which I could not resist. Throughout the summer the Shelton Family has a variety of beautiful produce. They offer the option of purchasing a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) box early in the season or just picking up what you need at the farmer's market.

No comments:

Post a Comment