Saturday, April 3, 2010

My Marinara Sauce


I started making my own marinara sauce the first summer we had a garden and ended up with so many tomatoes we did not know what to do. This recipe continues to evolve over time, mostly because I never write it down, a habit I am slowly trying to break. So here goes my first attempt at documenting something that I create. I think that sauces need to be flavored slowly as you go to fit your flavor preferences.

Ingredients:
- 1.5 pounds of ripe tomatoes (roasted)
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1/4 Cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp soft garlic cheese spread
- EVOO
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- Handful of chopped fresh Basil

Roasting the tomatoes:
Preheat oven to 420. Place the tomatoes in a baking dish with the stems cut out. Heavily drizzle the tomatoes with EVOO. Bake for about 40-45min. Remove from the oven and pour a little of the tomato water out of the baking dish.

The Sauce:
- There are several ways to liquify your roasted tomatoes. You can use a food processor, a blender, or one of my personal favorites a submersion blender. After you have reduced the tomatoes to the consistency and texture that you like add them to a large pot over low heat.
- In a small skillet simmer the onions in EVOO until they are transparent then add the garlic and crushed red pepper. Allow the garlic to cook for about 1min then add the white wine to deglaze the skillet. Let sit for a couple of minutes to simmer and reduce.
- Pour the contents of the skillet into the pot with the tomatoes. Add the rest of the ingredients (salt, balsamic vinegar, basil, and cheese) and now start to taste and adjust. I usually add more garlic and hot peppers from the garden if we have them. Stir and allow to sit over heat for a little bit for the flavors marry. Hopefully I remembered everything, let me know what you think. Bon apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment