Saturday, April 3, 2010

Plain Old Bread


I will admit to being a little bit of a bread snob. I get mildly offended at the products that I find in the grocery store posing as bread. Just the thought of fresh bread coming out of the oven - the smell, the texture, the taste - makes my mouth water. Three summers ago I became slightly fixated on learning how to make my own bread. Every day it was a new loaf full of possibilities. The nice thing is that it is so simple: flour, water, yeast. And there are so many ways to be creative. The process is not that difficult either: mix, knead, wait, bake and ta-da you have your bread. I am a huge fan of mixing by hand although occasionally using a mixer is nice too. I have never used a bread machine and I probably never will. I would feel cheated out of the experience of baking the bread and would not feel like it was my own. If you are at all interested in baking your own bread there are two books I highly recommend: "Bread Alone" and "Tassajara Bread Book." Both are fantastic and well worth the investment. Here is a very simple bread recipe that I first started with and still use regularly. Once you feel like you have gotten the hang of it you should play with the ingredients. I like to mix wheat and unbleached white flour at different ratios. If I want a hint of sweet I add honey, never sugar. Occasionally a little EVOO is nice too, or some sunflower seeds or garlic. The possibilities are endless. Because the basic ingredients are so few and simple go ahead and splurge on a nice bag of flour. Here is a very simple bread recipe that I first started with and still use regularly. Once you feel like you have gotten the hang of it you should play with the ingredients. I like to mix wheat and unbleached white flour at different ratios. If I want a hint of sweet I add honey, never sugar. Occasionally a little EVOO is nice too, or some sunflower seeds or garlic. The possibilities are endless. Because the basic ingredients are so few and simple go ahead and splurge on a nice bag of flour. Yes, there is a lot of waiting during bread making so grab a book, go for a jog or jump on your bike, have a beer or glass of wine. Just relax and bake.



Plain Old Bread

Ingredients:
- One packet active dry yeast
- 2 1/4 Cup warm Water
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 6-7 Cup flour


Directions:
- In a large mixing bowl combine water and yeast. Allow to sit for about 5min
- Add about half the flour and stir until combined then stir in the salt
- Gradually mix in the rest of the flour. This will get increasing difficult and you will eventually need to mix by hand, or if you are using a mixer switch from the paddle attachment to the bread hook.
- Dump your dough onto a well floured, clean, dry surface and knead it by pushing down and forward with the heel of your hand and then pulling back from the top. Fold the dough over on its self. Repeat until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Put a little EVOO into your mixing bowl and place your dough back in the bowl rolling it around in the EVOO to coat. Then cover with a wet towel or plastic wrap.
- Let the dough rise in a warm, draft free place for 3+ hours (you can even leave it over night or while you are at work this will give it a nice sour dough flavor).
- Deflate the dough with your fist by pushing in the middle then allow to rest for 30min.
- Shape your loaves. You can make 2 smaller loaves or one big. You can use a bread pan or shape on a stone or baking sheet that you have sprinkled with corn meal. (I love my baking stone and highly recommend getting one.)
- Let the loaves "proof" by allowing them to rise a little after you have shaped them: 30+min
- Heat your oven to 450F
- Bake at 450F for about 20min the loaves will look golden.
- Reduce heat to 400F and bake for 20 more minutes.
- Allow 15min to cool.
- Taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment